16. During the 1870's, Cambria was described as having a neat, New
England appearance. Heart's Ease, which offers "a bit of nineteenth
century New England," has found an appropriate home in the house built
by G.W. Proctor in the 1870's. Proctor was a prominent local
17. Robin's Restaurant was a residence built in the 1920's by Frank Souza, a construction supervisor for William Randolph Hearst.
18. Ian's Restaurant, 2150 Center Street, incorporates the home of
George Dickie, one of Cambria's early merchants. It originally stood
on the southeast corner of Burton and Center Streets.
19. The Squibb House was built in 1877 by Fred E. Darke, a former
Civil War drummer boy who became a teacher when he moved to the
central coast. The structure to the right of the house was a
carpentry shop built by Alex Paterson in 1889. Paul and Louise
Squibb, founders of the Midland School of Santa Ynez Valley, purchased
property in 1953 and lovingly preserved the house and grounds.
20. The building at 4022 Burton Drive stands on the site of the
two-story house once occupied by Rufus Rigdon, one of the town's
original settlers. His son, Elmer Rigdon, became a California State
Senator and in 1917 won approval for the construction of the coast
highway between San Simeon and Monterey.
Click Here to Continue the Tour!
Lodging | Dining | Organizations | Real Estate | Services | Shopping
Designed and Hosted by Ernest & Allen Inc.
Copyright © 1997-2001